Friday, October 19, 2012

It's September and I'm Erasing All Your Emails

Just before sundown,
clouds of migrating swifts
spiral into the chimney
of the school, like gnats
sucked into a drainpipe.
It's dizzying, even from 

down here. A hawk will 
occasionally scatter the flock
and even though I cringe, 

I'm also thrilled, secretly 
hoping to see the killer 
snatch himself a meal.

Thousands of mayflies 

bounce in the sunlight
above the pond, dropping 

then springing back up
as if yanked by rubber bands.
The insects dance like 

television static, one last
jitterbug before last call. 
One settles on my arm.
I flick it away as gently as I can
and watch the ducks
as they skim the tiny bodies 

from the water.

1 comment:

  1. as if sucked into a drainpipe, as if yanked by rubber bands....yes.

    ReplyDelete